The story of Rocky Mountain College is really a story of three colleges. The first was Montana Collegiate Institute in Deer Lodge, which enrolled its first class in 1878. Shortly after classes began in Deer Lodge, Mont., Wesleyan College opened its doors in Helena. In Billings, the current site of Rocky Mountain College, Billings Polytechnic Institute (BPI) began recruiting students from across the country at the turn of the century. The three schools became one entity in 1947 - Billings Polytechnic Institute, which was to become Rocky Mountain College - Montana's first and finest. From its very inception in 1878, the students of Rocky Mountain College have been leaders. In 1947, the students petitioned to rename BPI to Rocky Mountain College. They also took it upon themselves to accelerate the expansion of the College, and they even constructed the new buildings as a way of paying for their tuition. The sandstone rocks were quarried from the Rimrocks and the campus rose from the surrounding farmland to become one of the best-rated colleges in the West. Today, RMC students are not all that different from those of the past. Rocky Mountain College still attracts and produces leaders who make a difference in the College and their communities.